Analysis of the news of November 11, 2022

COVID-19 mitigation measures linked to fewer childhood bacterial infections

A study of 97 hospitals in the United States and Canada found that the incidence of urinary tract infections (UTIs) and invasive bacterial infections (IBIs) in infants with fever fell to pre-pandemic levels early of 2022, researchers reported yesterday in Pediatrics.

The multicenter cross-sectional study, conducted from November 2020 to March 2022, included previously healthy and apparently healthy term infants, 8 to 60 days old, who visited an emergency department or were hospitalized with a temperature of 38°C (100.4°C). F) or higher. Since single-center studies suggested a higher proportion of infants with UI and ICI in the months following the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the researchers wanted to examine the prevalence of UTIs and HERE in a larger and more geographically diverse population during the pandemic. They also aimed to determine if there was an association between the prevalence of COVID-19 and the odds of an infant having a UTI and IBI.

Of the 9,112 infants included in the study, 603 (6.6%) had a urinary tract infection, 163 (1.8%) had bacteraemia without meningitis and 43 (0.5%) had bacterial meningitis. UTI prevalence decreased from 11.2% in November 2020 to 3.0% in January 2022. IBI prevalence was highest in February 2021 (6.1%) and decreased to 0.4% in January 2022.

There was a significant downward monthly trend for the odds of UI (odds ratio [OR], 0.93; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.91 to 0.94) and IBI (OR, 0.90; 95% CI, 0.87 to 0.93). For every 5% increase in COVID-19 prevalence during the month of presentation, the odds of an infant having a UTI (OR, 0.97; 95% CI, 0.96 to 0.98 ) or bacteraemia without meningitis decreased (OR, 0.94; 95% CI, 0.88 to 0.99).

“The prevalence estimates from our study demonstrate that the risk of UTI, bacteraemia, and bacterial meningitis in febrile infants is higher during times when viral respiratory infections are likely to be of low prevalence, potentially due to health measures. pandemic mitigation, but then revert to baseline risk, or less, when these measures end,” the study authors wrote. “With the potential for future pandemics, understanding the impact of pandemic measures mitigation on the prevalence of bacterial infections in febrile infants is a key element for informed decision-making between clinicians and parents.”
November 10 Pediatrics study

CDC: nosocomial infections continued to climb in 2021

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shows that hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) in US hospitals remain elevated above pre-COVID-19 pandemic levels.

Results from the 2021 National Healthcare Safety Network quarterly data review show continued increases in quarterly standardized infection ratios (SIRs) for central line-associated bacteremia (CLABSI), catheter-associated urinary tract infections ( CAUTI), ventilator-associated (VAE) and methicillin-resistant events Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) compared to 2019. The report analyzed data from acute care hospitals, critical access hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities and long-term acute care hospitals.

Overall, CLABSI increased by 7% between 2020 and 2021, CAUTI increased by 5%, VAE increased by 12% and hospital-associated MRSA bacteraemia increased by 14%. The largest increases were seen in intensive care units. Among other HAIs, surgical site infections showed no significant change from 2020 to 2021, and hospital-acquired infections Clostridioides difficile infections fell by 3%.

Although the increases in CLABSI, CAUTI, VAE and MRSA bacteraemia are significantly lower than those those observed in 2020when hospitals across the country have been overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients, it reflects the continued strain the pandemic has placed on American hospitals, the CDC said.

“In 2021, the nation and the world continued to face unprecedented challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which impacted the surveillance and incidence of HAIs,” the authors of the report wrote. report. “Compared to pre-pandemic years, hospitals across the country have experienced higher than usual hospitalizations and shortages of healthcare staff and equipment, which may have led to deterioration of several patient safety parameters since then. the start of the pandemic.”

On a positive note, the report also shows that, compared to the 2015 national SIRs, 49 states performed better on at least two infections, 33 performed better on three types of infection, and 20 performed better results on four types of infection.

According to the CDC, about 1 in 31 U.S. hospital patients and 1 in 43 nursing home residents acquire at least one healthcare-related infection every day.
November 4 CDC IAS progress report

Comments are closed.